Saturday 6 August 2011

Day Two – Calgary, Medicine Hat, Moose Jaw, and Regina.

 After a night’s sleep (most report getting some fairly good shut eye!), we had breakfast, packed up, prayed in the beautiful sanctuary, said thanks to our amazing hosts – St David’s United Church, Diana, and Aaron – and headed off into the prairie.

We drove three hours to Medicine Hat, Alberta, had a picnic lunch at Police Point Park  (first major experience of bugs if you don't count the four billion that have lost their lives on the front on our bus!), took pictures at the largest teepee in the world, Saamis Teepee and then on the road again…to MooseJaw. 

In Moosejaw we had supper – some of us at the Thai Restaurant, the others at Java Express. We also had an amazing time in the Moosejaw Tunnels – half of us took the AL Capone tour, the rest of us took in the Chinese Immigrant tour.  Then off to Regina, where we went swimming – we had the whole pool to ourselves!  We came to rest at Westminster United Church where Linda welcomed us and we all crashed for the night.

What was an amazing experience for you today?  What was the best?  What did you learn? ….

There were a lot of fun things that we did today but I really enjoyed the giant pictures in the world’s biggest teepee and also the tunnels of Moose Jaw where I got to experience what it was like for the Chinese men who came to Canada in hopes of making money to help their families back home. I look forward to seeing other landmarks on the way to Toronto! ~Astrid~

Driving in Saskatchewan today, we almost crashed into a massive teepee. Later, after pulling out my ukulele and singing on the bus, a giant moose chased us down. What a day! ~Tabitha~

Today I felt as if there was more of a connection between the people on the bus. Yesterday felt so much longer because there was more tension and shyness between all of us, today it felt as if we all had a much better time because we spent more time together. Great day, great trip, great people! ~Courtnay~

I had a wipeout later today while seeing the moose but that didn't take out any of the awesomeness of the day ~Mathew~

What a crazy tourist day :p but the best thing I learned today was how to knit !! so psyched Gramma ur getting a dish cloth by next year :P looking forward to more learning and laughter and if you ever order a chai tea latte ask Eric what happens :P ~Becca the Hippo <3~

Today went extremely well today we went to the park and a couple of tours they were fun and made me feel less tired than I should have been
~ Spencer Mc awsomeness~playin’

playin’ cardz wit my friendz~ Ross

Today was a great day for having fun!!! I connected a lot with more people on the bus and felt like we were becoming family. Eric of course kept us on our toes with his humor. Was stared at by people in a small town, and Jennifer and I were told to take out our guns, then later realized the lady was referring to the tour. I couldn't have asked for a better day!
~Ciru talks a lot Kinyanjui

I enjoyed being an illegal rum-runner and also I enjoyed water. – Jake

Having a hymn book sing-a-long was the highlight of my day. – Valerie

I enjoyed the Capone experience and the pool was fantastic! –Aidan

I went to the Al Capone underground tunnel experience, with about 15 other people. What FUN! Spooky and frightening, if I were sitting watching what was happening I would have been on the edge of my seat. The actors took us back to a time of bootleggers and al capone, ruthless gang leader who, quite successfully, avoided the law. We started by being taken into a bar like room, and were told the story with a video. I was less focused on the video than on the creepy moving statues. We were then taking into “al capone’s suite” and as we walked into the office suddenly the fire place moved revealing a hidden exit, it was so unexpected and suprising everyone in the room jumped. It then closed and we moved into the next room, taking a different hidden exit into the underground tunnels.  Getting scared by hidden doors, people popping up from no where and flashing lights, more than once I found someone hanging onto my arm for dear life! The actors were amazing and funny and did their job perfectly, building up suspense, and showing us what it was like back in the day of rum runners, and gangs and mobs. It was amazing! Best part of my very long day ~Victoria<3

We saw all kinds of new things and learn new things it was awesome - Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.