Friday 5 August 2011

Our First Day!


Day one of the Rendezvous bus to Toronto.

We left at 7 am Thursday morning, everyone accounted for, and enthusiastic about the journey ahead.  The Victoria crowd had already spent one night together at Dunbar Heights United Church and joined the others at the Bus Depot.  Clinton our bus driver is the happy guy who is driving us all the way to Toronto. The bus is air-conditioned and comfortable and will be our traveling cocoon for the next few days.

During the day on the bus we played get-to-know you games, napped, entertained ourselves with our electronics, and learned how to meditate.

We stopped at the Canyon Hot Springs for a soak and swim – beautiful location, with brilliant blue sky canopy lighting the mountains and trees.  We had a pizza supper hosted by the good people St. Andrew’s United Church inn Golden.  There we learned a little bit about Thomas Merton -  a display of Merton photography graced the church sanctuary and we had someone explain who Thomas Merton was and what he contributed to spiritual learning and contemplative life.

Then on to Calgary through the magnificent Banff National Park.  We arrived in Calgary about 10:30 Alberta time and settled in at St. Davis’s United Church where we treated with juice and chocolate zucchini bread before collapsing onto our foamies for a deep (and warm) night sleep.

We passed the computer around and here are some of our comments…

It was a good day with a fair amount of breaks and waaay more driving time but it was really fun 1 day down however more to go. Matthew

I enjoyed the hospitality of Golden United and the yummy meal they set up for us - D

Feeling really tired - Becca

Enjoyed the hot springs and the nice swim we all had. The pizza was great too thanks Golden United -  Thomas

A little while after we entered Alberta I saw these two mountains that were sort of over-lapping and even though it was still light out it looked like the moon was being cradled by the two mountains. I tried to get a picture but the moon wasn’t bright enough so it didn’t show up.  Gwyneth 

Naps?  What’s not to love ‘bout them! Very fun time so far! –Eva

So far its been go go go to places that are fun and relaxing like the pool and dinner at a church it has been the best time ever so far – Spencer

I can’t remember what the house looks like. I think I need more sleep but it’s still been a great time. –Ross

As tired as I am this has been a really fun trip so far. – Matt

Caught up on my sleep on the bus. ^_^’’ So far its been rather fun , and I’ve met lots of amazing people :3 ~Emily

I’ve gone about 12 hours without playing a guitar, agh! New record! How shall I survive :P Ah well it is very fun and meeting great people ^.^ - Anthea

Today felt really long because I have done the drive to Calgary many times but I have met some really nice people and have had fun getting to know them! ~Astrid~

As a man, I enjoyed relaxing today. Showering three times was good. I like Rendez-Vous. – Jake Highfield

I enjoyed spending the first full day of travelling, reconnecting with old friends and meeting new ones through games and meditation. – Valerie

I enjoyed meeting up with old friends and meeting new ones as well. The hot springs were a great and the meditation was a great way to release after the day. –Aidan

After a long day of travel, it was great seeing all my friends, and making new friendships. I am looking forward to having more fun : ) –Mason

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.